Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nothing in the Federal Prison System is Easy

My husband is the guy who needs to wear his glasses to bed so he can see what he is dreaming about, so needless to say, his glasses are the first thing he puts on in the morning and the last thing he takes off.  He planned, and took care of many things in anticipation of his incarceration, but he could not find the time or money to get new glasses.  He wears the typical coke bottle lenses, so, for years we paid extra for the new technology which offered thinner lenses, had the edges rounded, and any coatings which would all make them look better and yet still allow him to see.

Unfortunately, now those old glasses are becoming scratched and difficult to see through.  He did manage to get an eye exam and an updated prescription.  Of course over three years his prescription has changed.  As an inmate, they are not allowed to have anything valued over $100.  They can wear their wedding ring as long as it has no stones in it and his eye wear can not exceed the $100 value either. 

Since he can not function without his glasses, my husband put in a request for the special, prison glasses while he waited for me to find him some new glasses on the outside.  Well, the prison glasses are the old heavy plastic frames and are made by other inmates.  He thought they were making him sick because it was a new prescription but now he is not sure if they were even made correctly.  One of the other inmates has to use his glasses upside down and backwards in order to see anything. 

I did manage to get him a new pair of frames and lenses for $99 with a copy of his new prescription that he sent to me, but the problem now is trying to get the glasses to him.  He has to put a request form through so that when the glasses are sent in, there is an authorization on file for him to receive them.  It originates in one office and then is forwarded to the medical office, and then from there it is sent back to him so he can then forward it on to me where I then send it back with the glasses and a receipt showing the purchase price.  The problem is, the form has an expiration date and everything needs to be done before it expires. 

I was able to get his glasses on Aug. 26 and it was at that time that he started the internal process to get his form approved.  Here it is a whole month later and he has not had the form returned to him yet and it will expire on Oct. 1st.  He has checked with the medical department and was told they would try to find it, but as of today, he has not received anything.  If he does get it today, it will take 2 to 3 days for me to receive it via snail mail, so I might get the form by the 28th or 29th.  Anyone who does business with the US Post office knows that there is no way he will have those glasses by Oct. 1, and anyone who has sent something to a federal prison knows that you really have no other options for shipping anything.  It is not like I could send it UPS. 

I am not trying to send him money, or what they would call contraband.  I am trying to send him glasses so he can function and see what he is doing and where he is going.  He had glasses when he came in, he has a signed prescription from their doctor, and I have met all the cost requirements so why can't I just get him his glasses. 

People talk of the luxury prisoners sit back with enjoying life on the taxpayers dime, with their cable TV, and all the amenities but I can assure you that this is not the case in every facility.  The biggest guy gets to decide what to watch on TV,a mattress that is only 4 inches thick, and living and sleeping in a room with 10 others guys is not what I would call living in the lap of luxury. 

For those of you that think this is easy, I would gladly offer you my shoes.  The things we take for granted, like being able to put on a pair of glasses to read the paper are things we have to fight for and spend way too much energy on.  Reading his letters, I really appreciate my fresh apples and bananas and on Sunday morning, my over easy eggs taste extra special, unless I choose to have waffles instead...but I can and so can you.

21 comments:

  1. ugh. I'm sorry to hear it's such a difficult process. Although, I can't say that I'm surprised at all. It seems like getting anything done in any of the prison systems in this country is ridiculously complicated and time consuming.
    Hopefully, it all works out and you are able to send him his glasses.
    Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Liz
    http://liz-davismommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an update...I finally got the form in the mail and sent the glasses out priority mail. Let's see how long it takes for them to get to my husband...if they get there at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you got the form and could get the glasses out in the mail. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they make it to your husband soon. I wear glasses myself so I know how difficult life can be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He called me this morning...he got the glasses and he can see! Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you. I have a son who's going to federal prison. I don't wish the worry on anyone. Anything extra they get us a blessing. And if they could just be safe I pray God !!

      Delete
  5. Your letter is very very helpful. I am in a very similar situation with my son. Where did you find glasses for under $100? Were there restrictions on the frames? Did you mail him the glasses yourself or did they have to come from the optomerist? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GB,
    I forwarded an email with all the details...I hope you found it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K Mest,

    I did not set myself up with an email address for this dialog, so I'm sure I won't get your response. Do I need to join or setup something to get your info? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is the e-mail comments

    Not sure where you are located but up here in the Northeast, we have a place called Empire Vision and they routinely run a special "2 pair of single vision glasses for $99" so not only did I get my husband a pair but I got an additional pair. They need to be single vision. The only restrictions I could determine was that they could not be frameless. I got him bronze wire frames. I could not get the edges of the lenses rounded or any special coatings but it was better than nothing. They still looked good. He did have the eye doctor there give him a prescription, so it had all the prescription information as well as the eye measurements since he would not be there to get them fitted.

    The rules say that they should come from the place of purchase, but I picked them up and packaged them with the authorization form and mailed them myself. I did use one of Empire Visions business cards as a return address. I had heard from others that they did the dame thing.

    I would have your son get a new prescription and send that to you, then shop around for frames. You might be able to find some at lens crafters or pearl vision also. They run alot of specials. That way you can watch for a good deal. Even Walmart has single vision glasses for good prices. Keep in mind that they will limit the frames you have to choose from, but based on what my husband said he was given as prison issue...anything is better. After you have the glasses in hand, I would then have him get the authorization form process started so as soon as it comes you can return the glasses to him quickly. I sent them via USPS Priority mail.

    You will definitely not be able to find something at an optomotrist, they take way too much care of their products. But at this point I would not want to spend $200-$300 on glasses only to send them there. If we had the ultra thin lenses, edges rounded and coatings they could easily cost that much.

    He was thrilled with what I picked out, but I knew what he had before and what he would like.

    Hope that was helpful. Let me know how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. K Mest...... Your information is incredibly helpful. He got his prescription. That took about 6 months. Now we can pursue getting the glasses. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. K Mest...
    Your information is very very helpful. Thanks so much. We got the eye examine and his prescription. That took about 6 months. We can now pursue his glasses. Anybody that thinks government health is a good thing, needs to see it at work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When or how long is your husband going to be incarcerated for? My husband just went to the federal prison camp a few weeks ago and would like his Rx Sunglasses...I am not sure if I can send them to him. It is a whole new world for me. Never thought I would be dealing with all these rules and regulations and the lonliness...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LRainey,
    Hope you get the reply...

    My husband has been in since Jan 2009 and the pre-release process starts 18 months before release so we are actually begining that process now. BOP rules state that regular Rx glasses can not cost more than $100 and you have to submit reciepts and your husband has to get special paperwork to receive them in the mail. I have not heard about sunglasses but based on the cost alone I am sure they would not qualify. Also I am learning that the BOP does not do anything that would make anyone remotely comfortable so on that I would propably say thay they would not accept the sunglasses either. The only way might be if you can document a medical reason for them. Any other questions please feel free to e-mail me at katemest@gmail.com. Keep me updated if you find out anything different so I can pass the news on to others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went through the glasses disaster too, my daughter never recieved hers, bop says they never recieved them then 5 or 6 months later Walmart calls to tell me the bop returned them to their store. When I originally recieved the prescription and the list of conditions, it was another 3 months before I got authorization to send the actual glasses, the expiration date looming large! Walmart does have some nice choices and they were very helpful too. I was told the glasses could not have metal frames. My daughters glasses are currently in the trunk of my car, she didnt want to risk losing them again. She wears a pair that she bought from an inmate that was going home with a similar prescription. That has to be really bad for her eyesight! Oh the stories I could tell!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, day one and he already called to tell me that the boots they have given him really hurt his feet. I don't really have seventy dollars to send him right now, can I save money by buying army-issued boots here and send to him there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding, if he is in a Federal Prison, he has to buy everything internally. They all say the boots hurt, and most just try breaking them in slowly. The only thing I was able to send in with special paperwork was a new pair of glasses and they needed to be less than $100. The BOP does not care about how much money anyone has. It is a business with the intent to make money. If my husband needed $70 right now, I would not have it to send either. He may want to look into buying a used pair from someone else. They trade fr them all the time, the haves trade with the have nots. Good luck.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was in Federal Prison in Miami on the 6th Floor Downtown. For 3 years. For wiring money to Mexico. For telecom service. My Bank never reported the international wire number to the FED. Even though I paid taxes on that money and I reported it. I still got 3 years for laundering.
    I had seen many people who were sick and injured or Old that go without the care they need. The Miami Federal Detention Center is a very bad place. I would not wish it on anybody. I wish you luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does anyone know how to buy a tablet for an inmate in nh prison

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jail sucks,all I know is the Lord loves his children and we ate childern of the king keep him your 💓 he will always be there for you

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so beautiful romantic has my fiance and we really want to get married do when I receive Jesus blessing we're both spinning so I don't know what paperwork that we need to do this wouldn't even know if it's possible

    ReplyDelete