Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Friday, September 10, 2010

The Invisible Man

 A thought came to mind the other day as I was filling out the endless amount of forms and notices sent home from the school and teachers on the first few days of school.  I no longer put my husband's name, address or phone number on any of the forms.  He is still their father, but my original thoughts were that it was for contact information and since it would be impossible for anyone to contact him, what would be the point of putting that information out there.  Another form asks who the children reside with, and of course, it is just with their mother.  Taking my daughter to play for a new high level sports team, and the team rooster lists the players, moms and dads and all their contact information.  My daughters name, simply listed MOM, the line for Dad was empty.

It seems that the very nature of the system necessitates making my husband invisible in the lives of our children.  Is he considered a "non-parent" because he can not receive all those e-mail updates from the teachers about upcoming homework and tests?  He is not even listed as a person to contact in case of an emergency.  I can't even contact him easily in an emergency...and I know because I had to. 

The federal prison system is inherently designed to put a greater distance between my husband and his children.  They claim their goal is to keep families together and to create a  support system for the offender but is does just the opposite.  He is only allowed 300 phone minutes a month at 15 maximum each call.  At 15 minutes you are simply just cut off.   He spends most of those minutes on calls to home but does use some to call his parents. 

He is 500+ miles away from his family at a facility four states away.  Right now he has no access to e-mail, which for kids growing up now is a basic form of communication. Although I am told that the facility is adding the infrastructure to add e-mail.  But I am also cautious because we are not certain of the fees to use such a service, they charge so much for phone calls, one can only think that the cost will be well beyond what most can afford to use regularly. 

There is a physical distance, an emotional distance and a complete lack of his influence in their lives on a daily basis.  We see him once a year because of the costs and distance to travel.  He may have to opportunity to talk to any one of them only once a week for a few minutes.  Regular mail is slow and ineffective for young children to express everything they want to share.   The normalcy of our lives does not include him in any way.  We do many things now as a family, sometimes never even thinking that he is not part of our activities.

So you tell me, how easy will it be for him to come home and be a functioning member of society, when we are not even sure he can be a functioning member of our family.  I can only imagine that things will be very difficult to fit back into the family dynamic for all of us.  My oldest will be in college and my youngest will have started high school.  They will all be young adults and when he left they were young children.   What are the benefits to society that he be incarcerated this way?  Other than to serve as retribution for those that simply want to punish him, there is nothing else positive to be gained by this experience that could not have been taught in another way. 

Instead of just punishing him, we his family, are also being punished.  Someone needs to look my three children in the eye and tell them what they did within their young lives to suffer such a punishment.  Someone needs to tell them why their father is now "The Invisible Man"

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and I wanted to just agree with what you said above. My husband just started (last month) a 4 year sentence. I filled out all the school papers with just my name not thinking about it, and now I noticed in the school directory it's just my name listed. I found myself going through the pages and seeing what other kids just had a mother listed.
    I've really been on the fence about talking to my kids about them discussing our situation with other kids at school. On the one hand I don't want them to think it's something to be embarrassed about, on the other I don't want them discriminated against because of a mistake their dad made. I was wondering how you've dealt with that part? My kids are very young, and not really old enough to understand how some parents may think differently of them knowing their father is in federal prison.
    Thank you for your blog.
    Amanda
    allaroundthekitchen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through the same thing recently when I signed my son up for day care. I filled out all the forms with just my name since my fiance is in state prison and unreachable in emergencies etc.
    I find myself often wondering how things are going to work when he gets out and rejoins our family on a daily basis. I know it will be a huge adjustment for all of us. Our son is only 2 now and will be either 6 or 7 when Daddy comes home so I'm not sure he will even remember when Daddy lived with us before.
    I agree with you that as the families of inmates, we seem to get punished just as much as they do which seems so unfair as we've done nothing wrong.
    I really enjoy reading your blog.
    Come by and check mine out when you have time.
    http://liz-davismommy.blogspot.com/
    Your family is in my prayers.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone talks about helping offenders reform and become functioning members of society but the prison/punishment system has just the opposite effect. It removes people from their homes and loved ones and isolates them in a world where they are surrounded by more hate, crime and anger. You tell me which environment is better for reform?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for so eloquently saying what I have been thinking (and saying to anyone who will listen) since my husband was sentenced last week to 40 months for a DUI Injury case (first offense, no prior record). 40 months seems like a long time to my husband and I, in our early 40's. But to our 7 year old daughter, who is autistic...that's half her lifetime. She ends up being the one being truly punished. 15 minute phone calls aren't enough to sustain a relationship...especially when 3 out of 4 calls fail due to a crappy phone system. :(

    ReplyDelete