Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Have We Turned A Corner?

When it rains it pours they say and I guess that would apply to both the good and the bad.  This past week or so I have had the opportunity to experience some of the good pouring out. 

The biggest thing for me may not seem like much to others but for me it signifies a passing of some of the hurt and anger and a greater hope that things will not be quite as difficult when my husband comes home.  I have mentioned that some of the people in the community who felt betrayed by my husband have started carrying on polite conversations with me.  Nothing earth shattering but a nice "Hello" or "How are you?" is a major step up from what I had been experiencing in the past.  Well, this past weekend, one of the people who probably felt most betrayed (rightfully so) was standing next to me at a school sporting event, when we were having some of that nice, polite conversation when we suddenly had one of those awkward moments of silence.  Then he seemed to take a breath and he asked how my husband was doing.  I had all I could do to not jump out of my skin, but I remained calm and told him that he was doing well.  He then asked me, with a great amount of sincerity in his voice, to tell my husband that he said hi.  I was blown away inside but still remained calm on the outside and told him that I would most certainly relay that to him.  This was something very new for me, I have had people ask how my husband is but no one so directly related and close to us at the time it all happened. 

What does this mean?  Immediately thoughts started bouncing around in my head as to why this? why now?  Could he have been contacted by the BOP due to his impending release?  Had enough time passed that he was just ready to offer an olive branch? or had he had enough time and distance to review his own short comings and realize that we are all human, we all make mistakes, and my husband is already being punished for what choices he made?  But with all the thinking, I really do not care what his reasons or motives were, it was a wonderful thing for him to do and lifted my heart. 

Later that same day, I was sitting on my back patio enjoying a beautiful spring evening.  It had been such a good day that I did not want to go in the house and have it end.  I was watching my two younger children playing ball with each other in the park in the backyard.  They were laughing, teasing, and just having an all around good time.  It was then that I realized that my kids are all going to be OK.  They have weathered this whole thing the best that any kids could be expected to and come out fully intact.  Their lives are filled with joy, kindness and friendship.  They have great family, role models, teachers and friends.  They know that their parents love them and that will never end regardless of how far we are from them.  They have learned to handle the darkest things that life can throw at you and come out on top.  They continue to excel academically, athletically and in everything they put their minds to.

All this hit me like a ton of bricks while I was just sitting on the patio watching them be kids.  Why now? Why today?  Maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in or maybe it is because I see this chapter closing soon and another one beginning.  Our lives are in a constant state of change, some easier than others but my children have learned to roll with the punches as long as you do not let anyone knock you out.  How can I not feel joy at knowing in that moment that my kids will be fine!!!  This experience has left a mark on us all but it is like all the other scars we carry through life, we wear them with honor because it means we have survived.  

5 comments:

  1. I am a fiance' of an inmate who has completed 2 years of a 17 year sentence. I have kids ages 23 and 24. He has kids ages 16 and 19. My kids are grown and on their own and his kids are being cared for by his family and friends. The situation I am having is how to handle my kids, close friends and family judging him. They keep telling me to move on and not to waist my time waiting for him. How do I deal with the negativity? I am in love with this wonderful man who has gotten himself in a huge predicament. I am 50 years old and he is 45. How do I get everyone to lay off me about my relationship with the man I love. What can I tell these people to believe in the love I have for him. How can a get them to not be judgemental and to not look down on him? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I have any specific recommendations, but I can tell you that with the passage of time most people no longer question my choices. Part of it is because I surround myself with people in similar situations and the rest is because I have always been honest about my intentions. I have admitted that I do not have all the answers but that I know what my heart is telling me. A good response would be "if he was your son could you turn your back on him?" Why is it, it is acceptable to love your children unconditional but a spouse is disposable?

      If you believe in your heart that it is the right choice for both of you, then you are the one who will be better off in the long run. You just need to pick up your bible and see how many references there are to forgiving and offering support to "the least of my people" which included those in prison.

      Delete
  2. I just read this post for the second time and, again, I felt the hope and gladness in your words. Thank you for sharing yourself so generously through your blog, it is a great gift to others searching for help and hope.
    I continue to remember your family in my prayers.
    xxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect your courage. Hope you don't have much more of your sentence to serve. We forget that families serve time while the inmate does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog..it kets me know that I'm not alone I'm also a wife of a convict..who is currently doing a 20 year bid with 12 already completed...I also started a blog in regards to being in love with an inmate..I shared a story of yours on my blog..I think sharing your experience is wonderful keep up the good work...you can also check out my blog http://convicted-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete