Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Not Faith, but Church vs Religion

Some interesting thoughts bouncing around this past week, some may call it a crisis of faith, but faith is not at issue. If it was not for my faith, I would have fallen apart a long time ago. My faith keeps me grounded, sane, offers me something to cling to and keeps me focused on the hope that all will some day be better. So, faith is not a problem, the problem arises when I sit back and consider the expression of that faith.

Not to point fingers at any one denomination, I belong to a christian church in my community and have been a member there for over 12 years. I have been active in different groups and programs throughout my time there. My children attend all the children's programs and studies and actively participate in the services. My husband also attended and participated as well.

When the nightmare started, where were the people from my church family? and where have they been ever since? Even the reverend did not call the house more than once to see how we were doing and then he only spoke to my husband. Don't get me wrong, there have been a small group of 4 or 5 who have tried to keep track of us and make sure everything is going. (notice I did not say "well"...just going). But on a daily basis, the church (of a different denomination) in the town where I work has gone above and beyond to make sure my children and I are doing OK. They have given us grocery gift cards, offering to pay car repairs, bought my washing machine, and tried to help me in any other conceivable way they could. Even going as far as trying to track down local support groups and making themselves available for what ever else I need.

So my question is, Who is the better role model? Who is behaving more Christ like? Who would I want my children to emulate? Is it time for me to consider changing denomination or do I just start attending a church of the same denomination but in a different town? Is it my community church that is so lacking or is it my religion?

Maybe the grander question or lesson is for me to take this opportunity to teach those in my home church where they have fallen short. I sit back and watch them glorify themselves at the time and effort put in to remodeling the building when it is so evident that there are so many more within their own community that are in need and I am not just referring to my family. Why is it so many only practice their religion when they are in the building? What about when you are in the community, with your family or even at work. The people who take the opportunity to be of service within their daily lives are a much better model of what it truly means to be a christian or a person of faith.

I have certainly learned from this that I too want to be a better person all the time. To reach out to those less fortunate and at a low point in their lives is something I have put into practice. I am volunteering my time in groups that can benefit from my knowledge and experience to help and serve others in need. I am always looking for the opportunities that allow me to exercise the motto "what you do onto the least of my people, you do on to me".

Maybe this is all part of the lessons that I am meant to learn, now it is up to me to figure out where that lesson will take me. No more answers here, what else is new, but something a little more profound to ponder.

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. My spouse is not in prison, but we do have a close family member (a male)that is. I am in touch with his wife almost weekly. She has also felt deserted by her church, and I bet I can guess what denomination you are. Would love to hear from you. My thoughts are with you.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify, this was not intended to lay the blame on my church for my circumstances, not at all. It was only a greater thought to ponder on my role in the church and what I now need to do with the thoughts and feelings that I have. Is it up to me to express where my family would have benefitted, or do I start from ground zero and take this as an opportunity to change things for the future. The last paragraph was the most important, that is the questionabout what my role or lessons are in this whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many posts that you don't like have you removed already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too just found your blog and I also have a nephew that is an inmate. This is our families first(and I hope last)time to have an inmate and we are just on the out skirts of all the problems the family has because that is were we have been put and not by our choice so I pray that you can go forward with your life I can only guess how hard this is and as for the anonymous post just before mine PLEASE donot cast the first stone because in my wildess dreams I never thought this would happen to this person so never say never and so what if she did remove something she didn't like maybe that was just a day she couldn't keep from it so I'll pray for you and all those who have an inmate

    ReplyDelete