Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Friday, May 15, 2009

Helplessness

What a horrible couple of days. Two days ago was my daughter's birthday, the first family event without Dad. It was difficult because I had very little money to get her anything of significance, but bless her heart, she just thought everything was wonderful. I had to plan everything by myself: attend my son's ballgame, pick up a small cake and wrap the 2 gifts I had gotten for her. In her eyes the cake was the best and it was the best day ever. The real fun began the next morning.

In trying to juggle everything the night before I did not remind my little one to get his homework done, so when he got up in the morning suddenly he did not want to go to school. It did not take me long to understand why, since this is a daily problem for him. From there it only got worse. He could not find a shoe and the clock is ticking. Now I will be late for work, but I sit by patiently waiting for him to settle down and be ready to go. No such luck. He gets in the car crying and complaining and then the truth comes out, "without daddy here, why should I bother?"

I explain as best I can that I am trying to juggle everything and everyone as best I can but he comes back with "Daddy used to help with my homework". By this time he is crying uncontrollably and I am trying to get him to school knowing that I will now be late for work. He continues his rant on the 2 minute ride to school about "I miss daddy, I miss daddy coming to my games, he used to help with my homework, yesterday was the first birthday without him and I miss him" By now I am crying as well. What words can you say that will make it all better for a 10 year old when I can't make it better for myself? We get to school and I pull into the parking lot but not up to the door and I just hug him. What else can I do? He begins to calm down but is in no condition to walk into the school, so I did what I thought was the best thing at that moment, we both left. I held his hand all the way to work (it was asleep by the time I got there but I was not going to move it). He spent the day with me at work, and it wasn't until lunch time that his mood started to improve and the happy, smiling face started to come out. I thought about getting an appointment with his counselor but he has one scheduled next week anyway so I just made sure he finished his homework while we were there, treated him to a slice of pizza for lunch and spent my time with him.

Almost 6 months down the road and you would think that things would be better but yet everyday something comes up that reminds us of the position we are in. Family will be coming this weekend (glad some are, not so glad others are) and I have a small list of things that I need my brother to help with, I need to take advantage of the help while it is there. Yesterday was hard, but we made it through, only 4 more years to go.

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Friend,

    I won't write much, as I started reading at your oldest blog entry several hours ago and am just now to this day that you captured and shared with me. I will make it through the rest this evening to discover where your family is with things more recently, but I'm going to let myself just cry for a while now. I admire you more than I am able to put into words. Your darkest hours are becoming my strength as I sit now...36 hours after the sentencing of my life partner and best friend in the world...the one I love the most...and can't yet find within myself the answers for how to make the most of the few weeks we have remaining before his self-surrender.

    Thank you for your courage and for having shared things that I've pondered, but dared not speak, and for being a light in my life today from wherever you are.

    Best,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    As I re-read this entry after your comment I am reminded of the dark days that we have gone through. I would not have remembered this day had I not written about it. The hope for you is that things will get better. Knowing that I am not alone in this has been a great support for me and I want you to know that you can e-mail me anytime for anything. We are a small but hardy group and need to be there for each other because so few people realize what our lives are like. If you have questions about the process, the feelings, or the system I will try to help as best I can or at least listen and understand.

    My best to you and your partner in this most difficult time and feel free to reach out anytime.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,

    I plan on taking you up on your offer to reach out. I do obviously have many questions about the process, what to expect, etc.m but more than that, I would be an amazing gift to have (and hopefully be) a supportive friend who can empathize. For reasons I will share when I email privately, we have been fortunate enough to work together through the relationship issues related to anger, resentment, etc. I will never consider myself "fortunate" to not yet have children, but I am grateful that there are not any children in my life that are going to have to grow to deal with the very grown up circumstances that come with this territory.

    Right now, things are decent inside. What I feel can best be described as determination and resolution, but I then get into this whole mind game with myself of questioning whether I'm perhaps feeling more okay than I should.

    I will write soon, but for now, I wanted to thank you again for your blog, and also for having taken time to respond to my comment. My email is dcc30308@gmail.com, and you are also most welcome to write anytime you would like. Until then...

    My Best,
    David

    ReplyDelete