Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where Do I Find Support?

Part of the reason I started this blog was because when my husband was first arrested, it seemed I had no where to turn for support.  I was looking for support, guidance and words of wisdom from any place I could find it.  When a large percentage of my friends were no longer available for me to talk to, I had to find that support from someone or someplace else. 

I was always an avid reader, but I discovered that I could escape my life by spending time in a fictional one between the covers of a book, but fate intervened when I picked up certain fiction books which seemed to be exactly what my soul needed to hear.  One of the first books I read was by Andy Andrews called "The Travelers Gift".  It was fiction or was it, but there was so much truth and such a glorious message in the story that I immediately felt a deep connection to the story.  Some would call it fiction, or inspirational, or faith based novel, but all I knew was that is was the medicine my heart needed to begin healing. 

"The Travelers Gift" was quickly followed by "The Ultimate Gift" by Jim Stovall.  Again, it was another uplifting tale of how one can change their life for the better no mater where they come from and what is put in front of them.  Both stories were true GIFTS to me.  I have since become a fan or both Andy Andrews and Jim Stovall.  I have many of the other stories they have written and consider myself truly blessed to have discovered these priceless gems.  Andy Andrews recently released "The Island of Saints" under a new title called "The Heart Mender"  and I highly recommend this book for anyone struggling with the idea of forgiving.

I soon began looking for more answers and guidance between the pages of books.  Other novels that became part of the healing for me were about things like finding God in the worst life has to offer, valuing life above all else and not being afraid to die, being aware of the world around us and how we fit into it, viewing the world from another's perspective could change the way we ourselves see the world, and learning to forgive and love those around us in spite of what they may have said or done. 

The list has slowly grown very long and my book shelves keep getting fuller.  I did start by borrowing some from the library but the really special ones needed a permanent place in my home.  I would buy them at book sales or online for the littlest costs as possible.  Some were given to me by caring friends who also found aid in the messages the books offered.

I have since found people to offer support to and get it myself, but I still continue to find many answers and pearls of wisdom between the covers of a good book.  I still like to escape into someone else's life but I have also found many answers there.  For those of you struggling to get through a difficult time I would recommend looking for a book.  We are not alone on this planet and many have gone before us to offer some help along the way, take advantage of what they have to tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment