Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Custom Search

Recommended Reading

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Mother's Pride

I made it through my oldest son's graduation from high school.  It was one of the big events that I was dreading simply because it was one of the biggest events in my children's lives that my husband would miss.  It had become a defining moment of how our lives would be changed and how would we get through everything without him around.  It was the one moment my son focused on when he wrote his support letter to the sentencing judge and yet seemingly was ignored. 

It was a very hectic few days, but because of that we were all able to do what needed to get done and then just enjoy the time for what it was.  Like every other event my husband has missed, I took photos and videos of the highlights but I will admit that in the more relaxed time I just tried to sit back and enjoy the fun.  And yes, there was much fun and laughter in the house to be enjoyed by all.  Close friends came and shared in the weekend, and other family and friends came for an afternoon of celebration.  It was not a time to dwell on what we were missing but a time to look forward for what the future holds for everyone.

The only tears I shed over the last few days were tears of joy and pride in the young man who has overcome more than any child should be expected to, and managed to stay well grounded and successful.  He walked across that stage with his head held high and had the respect of his peers, teachers and many in the audience.  He has shown the world how to graciously handle adversity and still focus on the job at hand, never skipping a beat.  His own experiences have made him a better man and a force that will leave his mark on the world in a very positive way.

He has matured in ways that a parent can truly be proud of.  He has learned that there is nothing in this world that he should not try to strive for.  He is limited only by the scope of his own dreams and desires.  He has learned the power of the written word and his artistry with words will take him to places he can only begin to imagine. I tease him, but if he only remembers to use his secret weapon, his beautiful smile, the world will open up before him.

My hopes for him, are that he never believe that he is not good enough to try anything or that anyone else is better than him.  His determination and spirit more than make up for what he might be lacking in experience and knowledge.  And I wish him joy, happiness and the knowledge that his family will always love him no matter what path he takes in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment